Too many litigators fail to understand that effective mediation advocacy is not the same as zealous litigation advocacy. In this focused, 60-minute recorded webinar for attorney advocates, you will learn valuable practice tips that can help you to maximize the value and potential results of the mediation process. Areas covered include:
- Setting the table – Who needs to attend to tell the story and make “in game adjustments” with regard to settlement authority beyond or different from that defined in advance of the mediation.
- Mediation preparation – Placing a value on settlement and developing a negotiation plan.
- Preparing the client for the BATNA / WATNA / LATNA discussion.
- Preparing the client to participate in the mediation.
- The Opening Offer – What are the pros and cons of making the first offer?
- Anticipating and planning for impasse by understanding some of the external causes that may be within your control to hinder or avoid.
- Moving beyond obstacles – some impasse-breaking techniques attorney advocates should put in their tool box
WHO WOULD BENEFIT FROM THIS PRESENTATION – Mediators, advocates and parties interested in the particulars of mediation practice and advocacy.
What others are saying about this presentation...
A good thorough overview of mediation both from a mediator's tips and for counsel representing those in mediation.
The topic was well organized and concise with useful and practical information.
Excellent coverage of the topic with information for both novice and experienced lawyers participating in mediations.
Very pertinent and helpful for application to real-life mediation scenarios. Practical suggestions which can be used without ivory tower theoretical cases. This was definitely worth the time, even for a full time ADR professional.
Thought-provoking practical guidance from an experienced neutral re: what works and what doesn't.
This short concise webinar contained a wealth of practical information that should be listened to by both the novice and the experienced practitioner.
This webinar offered excellent practical and straight-forward advice regarding the mediation process from pre-mediation planning/preparation to final settlement and settlement agreement.
I've done a lot of mediations in the last 25 years, and thought I knew how to do them right. I now have important new insights about preparation, and the points of view of the mediator and the other side. I now have an excellent checklist. Thanks!
Excellent practical suggestions in the preparation and conduct of a mediation.
^ Links to this recorded webinar's supplemental material and PowerPoint slides appears above at left. You may download the documents once you have registered for the presentation.
This program does not qualify for the AAA's annual Arbitrator Continuing Education (ACE) requirement.
Launching the Course After Registration
If you register for this free recorded webinar you will receive a confirmation email containing a link to the course. You will click the course link in that email or copy and paste the link into your browser to launch the course. If you have a "My Profile" account on this site, you can also launch the course from your Transcript page.
AAA Education Services - Drafting Arbitration Clauses - The Basics and Beyond
CLE is currently not offered on AAA recorded webinars.
AAA Education Services at AAAEducation@adr.org or